As a former photo editor for the fashion industry's top titles (Vogue and Elle), Wendy Haworth has a serious eye for design. Upon launching Wendy Haworth Design, Inc., the Los Angeles-based expert built a talented team to offer everything from design consultation and space planning to custom furnture design and branding services. Recent clients include Café Gratitude in Newport Beach, Gracias Madre in West Hollywood, and Winsome in Echo Park.
But the newest addition to Haworth's portfolio is Cleo L.A. LIVE. The award-winning restaurant concept offers a warm, social setting for sharing dishes inspired by a modern take on Mediterranean. Haworth is responsible for the venue's eye-catching interior, wrap-around patio, and party-ready dining room. Learn more about the designer in our Q&A below.
1. Who is your biggest role model?
Coco Chanel – she was incredibly independent, innovative and believed in timeless simplicity.
2. Which movie or play do you wish you could have designed the set for?
Ah, so many but one film that comes to mind is I Am Love with Tilda Swinton, which features the Villa Necchi Campiglio in Milan that is just out of control gorgeous.
3. What is the best way to gauge a client’ s personality before starting a project?
Lots of nosy questions about everything: where they’re from, what they do, where they like to vacation, their interests – It’s a complex equation.
4. What new design elements are you excited to integrate into your work?
LED lighting – it’s getting better everyday and is such a great sustainable advancement.
5. How do you completely unwind?
A movie and popcorn at home with my boyfriend.
6. If you hadn't become a designer, which career would you have pursued?
7. What’ s the worst pre-designer job you’ ve ever had and why?
I worked as a phone sales person for a portrait photography “studio” cold calling people to seduce families to come in to have their portraits done. I lasted a day.
8. What’s your favorite recipe?
Our “house cocktail” is a modified Poloma that my boyfriend makes: Tequila, grapefruit soda over ice with salted rim and lime garnish.
9. Create your perfect playlist for us.
It’s a little of everything but here it goes:
10. Who is your designer crush?
11. Would you rather shop new or vintage?
12. First celebrity crush?
13. What’s your hidden talent?
Homemade loquat jam!
14. Best restaurant in your area? Where is it?
Night + Market Song in Silverlake.
15. SF or LA?