As a rising design star with formal training in architecture, LA-based Vincent Pocsik infuses his projects with a deep appreciation and celebration of form and function. WIth the launch of his premier collection, Series 001, Pocsik blends materials, techniques, and styles to create one-of-a-kind tables, stools, lamps, and more. Learn more about the designer in our Q&A below.
1. Who is your biggest role model?
I collect role models like Jay Leno collects cars, but if I had to single some people out I would say my parents as a team. My dad for teaching me what creative freedom is and my mom for teaching me how to not settle for good enough.
2. Which movie or play do you wish you could have designed the set for?
I had a very strange obsession with watching Peter Brooks The Mahabharata (1989) as a child. I think it would be awesome to be able to design a set for such an epic story.
3. What is the best way to gauge a client’s personality before starting a project?
Face to face discussion is really the only way for me to fully understand my client.
4. What new design elements are you excited to integrate into your work?
I am excited to start playing with textures for my next series. All of my work currently is very smooth; I would like to start juxtaposing this with rough textures such as hammered brass.
5. How do you completely unwind?
I’m not sure I have that figured out considering that I am answering these questions while on a long weekend in Joshua Tree.
6. If you hadn't become a designer, which career would you have pursued?
I wouldn’t mind being an astronaut.
7. What’s the worst pre-designer job you’ve ever had and why?
I would say working landscaping, waking up at 5am and digging into cold Ohio ground during October wasn’t exactly fun. I would not take back a single job I have ever had back though and there have been a lot. You can make anything into an art form; you just have to take the right perspective.
8. What’s your favorite recipe?
Chicken Paprikash, I grew up next to my Hungarian grandmother and this was made often.
9. Create your perfect playlist for us.
10. Who is your designer crush?
11. Would you rather shop new or vintage?
12. First celebrity crush?
Salma Hayek - From Dusk till Dawn.
13. What’s your hidden talent?
I am really good at making edible dishes out of the random things in the refrigerator/on the shelf.
14. Best restaurant in your area? Where is it?
Taco Truck – on the corner.
15. SF or LA?